Monday, December 22, 2008


Hip Hop has a very euphoric feeling upon a person sometimes.  I've been a fan for many years now.  My little girl even listens to a real dumbed down version of it (don't worry, she's trying to work out of it.. she just doesn't know it yet..lol).  But back to Hip Hop.  Like I said, I've been a listener and participator in Hip Hop music since around 1979 when my boy Daryl was listening to Planet Rock where we lived in East Elmhurst, Queens.  I think it was "Little" Daryl, Daryl, Martin, Craig, or Jonathan (one or the other because they both weren't there together hardly ever), and me.  We were in the front of Daryl's house and it was playing on a box.  Then my cousins would let me dj with them as well.  I just remember not ever getting enough of it.  It, next to hotwheels, were the first addictions I can remember.  In the late 1980's, a group by the name of EPMD came out though.  First time I heard them was on Mr. Magic's Rap Attack on 107.5 WBLS.  that was truly an epic time.  The song was, "It's my thing".  Then I saw the video for "Strictly Business", and they officially became my favorite Hip Hop group.  At this time in life, I think it was 88', I took KRS-ONE's disses to Queens quite personal, even though moms pops had decided to take vestige in upstate New York at the time.  We were only an hour from the city though, so it wasn't too bad.  I had lost touch with most of my "city" friends, and made new ones upstate.  Still loved Hip Hop though.  And as long as we could bootleg the cable line from the box, and plug it in to my pops' receiver and get the "city" stations for free, we were good!  We being my cousin who came to live with us, and my twin baby brothers.  My youngest brother was still pretty young so he didn't worry about recording shows.  We used to have the sickest mixtapes from friday and saturday night.  


I've seen a lot of my icons in this long journey I've taken with Hip Hop, my generation's, music.  Wu, X-Clan, Leaders, Boot Camp, Mos, Roots, De La, Slick Rick, Nas, Gangstar, Rakim, and Brand Nubian (w/0 Puba) to name a few.  I've never seen EPMD.  Just never went to see them back in the day.  Its the kind of thing that makes you want to kick yourself sometimes.  But then as I think back, all the crap that took place when they went through their break up, soured the whole deal too.  They quickly fell in my ranks during that time.  Tribe took their place (I STILL haven't seen them!).  I got a chance to finally see these brothas after 20 years of listening to their music.  Felt real good too.  I have to admit, when I heard they were going to be in town, I had to jump on that.  Plus I DJ'ed the event with my boy E.  So I suppose I can add another legendary group to my list of "seen".  Much respect EPMD crew!

No comments: